Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Latest Projects




I have been very busy over the last few weeks preparing for my smallest daughter's Baptism. I stuck to a pink and white theme and had a great deal of fun (and some stress) preparing decorations and food.

The above picture shows the "dessert table" and some of the decorations. The large pom poms were made using the instructions found on the marthastewart.com website. I made the banner using various pink coloured paper and found this to be quite time consuming. I'm planning to reuse this and hang it above my little one's cot, with the crosses removed from either end.








This is the cake we made. I made three mud cakes using this recipe (http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html). I made them over the course of two days and had them in the freezer for a week. I stacked them on top of each other and glued them together with royal icing. We then iced the cake in buttercream and layed out the pre purchased fondant over the top. We had tried to make our own fondant and ended up throwing it in the bin at 3am a couple of nights before the Baptism because something had gone wrong. It seems that you don't actually cook the fondant and even though the recipe I used didn't say anything about cooking it, I thought that there was some kind of mistake. Note to self - always follow the recipe!!!








I bought these cupcake liners and put foil cases inside of them to stop the popcorn from making the cases greasy. I think I could make the liners, but they would be quite time consuming. They are a project to try well ahead of time. The popcorn was regular buttered popcorn, but you could do sweet caramel or a savoury popcorn like olive and chilli.




I was really pleased with the way the cupcakes turned out. I used a vanilla buttercake packet mix to make them as it seems like packet mixes taste better than when I make a butter cake from scratch. They were iced with buttercream. I also iced one batch with marshmallow icing to which I had added a small amount of rosewater. The marshmallow icing was much nicer but the buttercream gave a much better finish.

I hope you enjoy the pictures so far. Part two to come shortly.

Mary xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment